The Minister for Defence, Dominic Nitiwul has said government decision to deploy soldiers across all the boarders is a way to check unlawfully entry and terrorist attacks.  

Explaining further, he noted that, the decision to deploy military personnel was informed by government’s commitment to protect the populace in the wake of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and not targeted at instilling fear or suppressing a group or tribe.

“We have over 250 to 500 unapproved routes, so when the lockdown came and in the process Immigration announced that that they have arrested over 5000 people that came into the country, the President ordered us to beef them up with police and soldiers, so on the 30th of March this year we sent soldiers to the borders to help the Immigration”.

“We sent soldiers to some of the land borders, we sent soldiers to Aflao and Elubo and some other places… The first one (deployment) Operation Conquered fist was anti-terrorism deployment.”

Minority spokesperson on Defence and Interior, James Agalga, has accused the government of spearheading the said deployment to intimidate residents in the region and prevent them from participating in the ongoing new voters’ registration.

Dominic Nitiwul said, the deployment of military personnel together with police, GIS and Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) personnel started on February 21 last year in an operation dubbed “Conquered Fist,” designed to enforce border laws in the country.

By: Richard Obeng Bediako / Kingdom 107.7 FM / Kingdom TV/ Kingdomfmonline.com / Richardobengbediako@gmail.com / Ghana / 2020

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *