Dissolve MiDA Board – Former Dep. Energy Minister
The Yapei Kusawgu Parliamentarian, John Abdulai Jinapor, has called on the government to dissolve the Millennium Development Authority (MiDA) board following the botched PDS deal.
He told Samson Lardy Anyenini, host of JoyNews’ news analysis show, Newsfile, Saturday that the current members “are not fit to sit on that board”.
He further advised the government to, “exercise maximum restraint and hold back from rushing to introduce any private sector participant in ECG”.
The concession agreement with Power Distribution Services was terminated on the instruction of the President after its suspension three months ago on the grounds that the agreement was tainted with fraud.
The company was engaged in March but since its suspension on July 30, PDS had been embroiled in a corporate governance tussle among the shareholders.
A Ghanaian local consortium holds 51% of the shares while the remaining 49% shares are for two foreign companies, Manila Electric Company Limited (Meralco), a Filipino company with 30% shares and Aenergia, an Angolan company with 19%.
Foreign player, Meralco offloaded its shares to Meridian Power Ventures Ltd, a letter to a key transaction advisor, the US-backed Millenium Development Authority (MiDA) confirmed.
Following the termination, the Minority in Parliament and members of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) have called out the government for being incompetent in the whole deal.
John Jinapor said on the show, “We entrusted to them some responsibility, they had a duty of care to the people of Ghana, they failed in that exercise and they should go”.
He, therefore, wants the MiDA made up of 14 members with 11 of them having voting rights to be dissolved
They include the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori Atta, Minister for Trade and Industry, Alan Kyeremanten; Energy Minister, Peter Amewu and the Attorney General and Minister for Justice, Gloria Afua Akuffo among others.