Government Sets $100m To Deal With Coronavirus Threat
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has assured Ghanaians that the government has put in place enhanced measures to deal with the threat of the novel Coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Speaking in a state broadcast Wednesday (11/03/2020), President Akufo-Addo said the government has set aside 100 million dollars to respond to the global outbreak of the coronavirus.
“This amount is to fund the expansion of infrastructure, purchase of materials and equipment, and public education,” the President noted.
According to him, the government has stepped up efforts in preparedness against the outbreak, which has been declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organization (WHO).
The President’s state broadcast comes after Ivory Coast registered its first case of the virus on Wednesday (11/03/2020).
The development means all of Ghana’s neighboring countries have recorded at least a case of the novel virus.
South Africa announced six new cases of the virus on Wednesday, bringing its total to 13, the most in sub-Saharan Africa. North African countries have also recorded nearly 100 cases.
Sub-Saharan Africa did not confirm its first case of coronavirus until February 28 in Nigeria, but experts warn that rising caseloads could test already fragile health systems.
President Akufo-Addo reiterated his call on public officials to desist from foreign travels, except critical ones.
He has, therefore, asked for the use of video conference facilities to be used for all international conference engagements further on.
President Akufo-Addo revealed that the Ministry of Health shall organize a weekly update on the virus which is quickly spreading worldwide.
He explained that the disease which is fast gaining a toll on humans must be fought by all including the media saying they should help disseminate information on the deadly virus.
“This pandemic must be fought with a collective effort and I urge the media to help disseminate information on the virus to the general public. However, this information must be genuine information from the Ministry of Health and not just any literature on the internet.”
President Akufo-Addo also urged Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Schools and Universities to join the fight against the disease by campaigning.
President Akufo Addo urged Ghanaians to stop the customary practice of shaking hands to avoid the spread of the deadly Coronavirus (Covid -19) and adopt the habit of washing the hands regularly with soap.
President Akufo-Addo said Ghana’s entry points, such as her airports and land borders, continue to show satisfactory preparedness to screen all entrants into the country, with the Ministry of Health designating a quarantine facility that can hold infected persons, whilst regional hospitals are preparing isolation centres for holding suspected cases.
“Our country’s two main research institutions, the Noguchi Memorial Institute and the Kumasi Centre for Collaborative Research, which have the capacity to investigate and confirm or otherwise suspected cases of Coronavirus infections, have been very supportive in this regard. So far, they have found that the fifty-seven (57) suspected cases, as of today, Wednesday, 11th March, have proved negative,” he said.
So far 125,655 cases of the virus have been recorded worldwide with 4,607 deaths and 67,051 recoveries.
By: Aboagye Frank Jackson / Kingdom 107.7 FM / Kingdom TV/ Kingdomfmonline.com / [email protected] / Ghana / 2020