April 20, 2021
General Top News

FIRE GUTS OVER 100 STRUCTURES AT SHIASHIE IN ACCRA

Fire gutted over 100 wooden structures that serve as accommodation for residents of Shiashie, a slum community around East Legon in Accra.

Even though no life was lost, the ravaging fire destroyed properties running into hundreds of Ghana cedis and rendered some of the slum dwellers homeless.

The timely response of personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) prevented the fire from spreading to other parts of the community.

The intervention of fire service personnel quenched the fire when all attempt by some residents around to put out the fire failed.

Eyewitness

Eyewitnesses said the fire started around 8:50p.m. on Friday evening  from one of the wooden structures and spread into other parts of the slum.

Even though the immediate cause of the fire could not be established, it is suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault and a gas that had been left leaking.

When Kingdomfmonline.com got to the scene at around 9:10 p.m., the victims were still counting their losses.

The mood there was despair, dejection and frustration.

The area is made up of about 100 cluster of wooden structures inhabited mostly by head porters and petty traders.

Response

“We received a distress call around 9:15 p.m. about a fire outbreak at Shiashie. A team was dispatched immediately, and within a matter of a few minutes, they were at the slum community. Our men faced challenges on how to access the place due to the overcrowded nature of the settlement. The fire was so severe that we had to call for reinforcement. But, after two hours of fighting the fire, we were able to confine it, thereby preventing it from spreading to other parts, “One of the Fire Officers exclusively told Shiashie-based Kingdom FM 107.7

He said further investigation was underway to unravel the circumstances behind the incident.

Member of Parliament for Ayawaso West Wuogon (AWW) Constituency, Ms Lydia Seyram Alhassan, was present at the scene in which she quickly arranged for 150 student mattresses and made sure the victims were kept in the Presbyterian Church in Shiashie till the following morning.

She promised to help and support all the victims financially in this difficult times.

The NDC parliamentary candidate for Ayawaso West Wuogon, John Dumelo was also present at the scene to console families who have lost several properties.

Investigations

According to some of the residents, primary investigations showed that there were gas cylinders and other explosives in the wooden structures, a situation that fuelled the rapid spread of the fire.

“It is most likely that the fire may have been caused by the use of unorthodox lighting sources or electrical fault,” one of the victims told Kingdomfmonline.com.

Watch Full Video..

Richard Obeng Bediako / Kingdom 107.7 FM / Kingdom TV/ Kingdomfmonline.com / Richardobengbediako@gmail.com / Ghana / 2020

Related Posts