Coconut is a complete food rich in calories, vitamins, and minerals. Although its meat is excessively high in saturated fats in comparison to other common edible nuts, coconut has many health-promoting bioactive compounds. It contains lauric acid which increases good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol levels in the blood. HDL has beneficial effects on the coronary arteries by preventing vessel blockage (atherosclerosis).
Coconut water is packed with simple sugar, electrolysis, minerals, and bioactive compounds. Although, these enzymes aid digestion and metabolism. A particular research study shows that cytokine (small secreted proteins released by cells) in coconut water showed significant anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic and anti-thrombotic properties. The kernel is an excellent source of minerals such as copper, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc. It is also a very good source of B-complex vitamins such as foliates riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, and pyridoxine. These vitamins are essential in the sense that the body requires them for external sources. Coconut meat and water contain a good amount of potassium.
Coconut contains a high amount of saturated fats but these could be harmless depending on the person’s health (not mostly recommended for someone who is obese), they contain medium-chain triglycerides which are fatty acids of medium length. These fatty acids are absorbed differently by the body. They go straight to the liver from the digestive system, they are further turned into ketone bodies, which can have therapeutic effects on brain disorders like epilepsy and Alzheimer’s. Other health benefits of coconut include the following.
1. Fibre content: Coconut is rich in dietary fibre. Its fibre slows down the release of glucose then transports it to the cell where it will be converted into energy.
It assists in relieving stress on the pancreas and enzyme systems which reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
2. Boost immunity: Coconut nutrition is excellent for the immunity system m it is anti-viral, anti-fungal, and bacterial and antiphrastic. Intake of coconut oil can help the body to mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that cause illness.
3. Treat abdominal fats: Coconut is also beneficial in treating dangerous fats in the abdominal cavity.
4. Overall health: Research has proven that people who consume coconut daily are healthier when compared to those who don’t.
5. Treat epilepsy: This first can dramatically reduce the rate of seizures in epileptic children.
6. Fights cancer: Coconut nutrition has proven to have anti-cancer properties. It is especially beneficial to treat colon and breast cancer.
7. Prevent urinary tract infections: The natural diuretic property of coconut treats urinary tract infections. It improves the flow of urine to get rid of the infections.
8. Extremely beneficial during Pregnancy: Coconut water is sterile and is very good for pregnant women. It improves the immunity and health of mother and baby and prevents infection and other diseases.
9. Healthy bones and teeth: Eating coconut regularly supports the development of healthy teeth and strong bones. It improves the body’s ability yo absorb calcium and manganese which aid bone development.
10. Fights dryness: Coconut oil, if used on the skin prevents dryness and flakiness. It keeps the skin moisturized and supple.
11. Prevent scalp infections: The antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of coconut protect the scalp from dandruff, lice and itchy scalp which often slows down hair growth. It gives a healthy, shiny and silky hair.